Sunday, October 16, 2011

Week 7 and 7&7's

This was a pretty decent week for college football. While the upsets were few, the teams that were supposed to win ultimately did. And, I took advantage of the poetic symmetry in drinking 7&7's during week 7.



Let me start by talking about my favorite drink. It's perfect in its simplicity. Technically, you need Seagrams 7 whiskey and 7 up, but there's plenty of room for change. You can pretty much just mix any whiskey with any lemon-lime flavored drink. Boom. Its so simple and so delicious. However, I can tell you that my experience with my favorite indulgence holds true to the old proverb: Too much of any good thing, is a bad thing. Whiskey hangovers are not friendly. Sure, they're not as bad as rum hangovers but it still hurts. Its 2:45 p.m. and I'm ready for another nap.

But before I rest my eyes for an hour or two, lets talk about yesterday's games.


The biggest upset was Michigan State beating rival University of Michigan. I'm not happy about this-I'm maize and blue, through and through- but would you believe me if I said I called this one? True, there's no proof and I didn't write it down but take my word for it, I saw this one coming. I'll tell you why. First of all, the success of Brady Hoke's inaugural season as head coach for the Wolverines had to slow down eventually. His team doesn't possess the talent that Mike Stoops did in his national championship first year at Oklahoma, or Larry Coker did at Miami. Still, he's turned his team around significantly. Second of all, it was a home game for Michigan State. Playing at home is the single defining edge when two relatively equal teams are lined up. Michigan State took advantage.

Besides this game, pretty much all of the teams that won were the ones that were supposed to. Unranked Ohio State beat number 16 Illinois, but I haven't been sold on Illinois all year. They play in a conference that isn't quite as strong as it used to be. And despite Ohio State's lack of overall leadership and a strong head coach, they still have talent.

I'm interested to see how the first BCS poll look tomorrow, as all of the top 10 teams won. There are whispers going around that the BCS is in for its most chaotic year, as all of the top 8 teams are undefeated. It might simply come down to strength of schedule, and that will give an edge to all SEC conference teams.

Things are starting to look interesting.

No comments:

Post a Comment